Migraines are very common. Nearly 38 million Americans get migraines every year. Typically, migraines cause excruciating and throbbing head pain. Migraines can last for hours or days, and the pain can be intense, interfering with your daily activities.
However, many people don’t realize that migraines are different from headaches, and there are various types of migraines. At Pain and Laser Centers of North Carolina, serving Greensboro, NC, we can diagnose and treat your migraines.
What Are the Different Migraines?
Knowing the different types of migraines can help you identify triggers and devise an effective treatment approach. The common types of migraines include:
- Migraine without aura: Most people have this form of migraine, also referred to as the common migraine. It causes a throbbing pain on one side of the head. If untreated, it can last for 4 to 72 hours, getting worse with physical activities. It’s characterized by vomiting, nausea, and sensitivity to light and sound.
- Migraine with aura: An aura is a neurological symptom of migraines that is characterized by visual disturbances. Symptoms include seeing flashing lights, wavy lines, or distorted objects.
- Menstrual migraine: Many women experience menstrual migraines during their menstrual cycle. It may occur some days before, during, or after the period. Some symptoms include nausea and vomiting.
- Silent migraine: This is a form of migraine that doesn’t exhibit head pain. This migraine is common for people above 50 years old, especially if they had aura migraines at a younger age.
- Hemiplegic migraine: This type of migraine causes symptoms such as tingling, numbness, trouble moving your leg or arm, and incoherent speech. The symptoms continue even after the headache is gone.
- Abdominal migraine: Abdominal migraines occur primarily in children. The symptoms include dizziness and vomiting. The migraines have no throbbing headache and can happen once a month.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
Chiropractic care is a natural treatment for migraines. While some people use pain medication, this is only a temporary solution. Our chiropractors will look for the triggers and causes of your migraines to determine the proper treatment.
Chiropractic care, cold laser therapy, and massage therapy can help treat migraines. A neuromuscular massage focuses on pain trigger points on the neck, back, and head to alleviate migraines. Lifestyle changes and nutritional counseling can also help with migraine pain.
Visit Our Chiropractor in Greensboro, NC
Don’t wait to get treatment for migraines. At Pain and Laser Centers of North Carolina in Greensboro, NC, we can help. Call us today to schedule an appointment.